Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A day off...

So does anyone else let their child stay home from school without a 100% legitimate reason? Nobody?.......come on I can't be the only one! Wait.......is that a hand in the back row? Yes! I knew it! Of course we all have those days and as a kid isn't it just the best when your parents let you have a day off school?

Yesterday when I picked L up from school he was a snotty nosed puffy eyed little boy. He was tired and a bit grumpy. His teacher mentioned that she was going to be taking the day off today, but that the kids would be going on a school trip to a local playground.

When L woke up this morning, he was a little puffy eyed and a bit congested, but I don't think he was in any danger of being germy, but I let him stay home anyway. I was tired, had a massive headache and couldn't be bothered rushing to get him to school.

But the real reason lies in the fact his teacher wasn't going to be there today. I have to admit that I'm not sure about the classroom aide. She is way too heavy handed when dealing with the children and although there is a strict "No Hands on" policy with L, I didn't want to risk her being under pressure with a field trip and maybe grabbing L and distressing him.

L really missed school today. Surprisingly so. He ad libbed and quoted ALL day. I heard script after script of conversations obviously going on at the school. It made me laugh. He is so innocent, these were excited conversations that I would expect a 2-3 year old to be having. Instead they are coming from my 5 almost 6 year old. There was a day when I didn't think he would ever talk, so this is so special. Language is something we take for granted because it's should be such a natural thing, but for kids with ASD it is such a struggle sometimes.

So anyway, playing hookey from school (and work for me!) really turned into a lovely day because I was reminded just how sweet it is to hear that little voice squealing with pleasure over absolutely everything. Precious.

2 comments:

Floortime Lite Mama said...

L is the sweetest

5onfaith said...

It's so great to see you! I have to admit - I am totally guilty too!