Friday, August 8, 2008

OMG it's August already!

Do you know what? I think I've been in some sort of grayish funk brainwise. I literally had no idea that it was August! I know to some it's easy to lose track of time and dates but I really have no excuse because on most days I actually need to write the date down in my order book!

Upon the realisation that it is indeed August, I am now in panic mode! ARGH! In some dark part of mt brain I kept thinking I have at least 6 months to choose and prepare L for school. What sort of parent am I?

Granted, I do have the school picked out. Phew! But I still haven't lodged the paperwork that is needed to get a cognitive assesment etc etc Oh no! I'd just sort of um....left it.... because I figured that if I left it somehow overnight L would wake up and the issues of Autism would be gone. That being said, the hardest part of what I would have to do is choose which one of the swanky private schools I would be sending L to.

Reality check mummy! It aint gonna happen. not this year anyway. I've made the decision not to mainstream L for his first year in prep. I figure prep is hard enough on a child without having to learn the rules for 2 different schools and get used to numerous sets of teachers and kids.So special ed school it is for us! The school looks lovely BTW and I am actually really pleased that he'll be going there. (plus secretly the word 'inclusion" used at a lot of mainstream schools is just a bullshit word. There's no 'inclusion' at all. It's more a case of we'll take your childs funding and give you stuff all in return).

DH and I got to tour the school we've chosen a few months ago and I just fell in love with it and the kids that were there. I know all kids are special.........but these kids....WOW....they just take your breath away.

The parents of special needs kids are a whole lot diffeent too. Everybody 'gets it'. We may not know the particulars of a childs disability but there is a common ground of understanding and appreciation amongst us. You only have to say to a mum of special needs kids that you've 'had a bad day' and she gets it! You don't need to go into details. She understands!

Anyway, I digress - back to the paperwork issue. Must - lodge- next- week!

Someone remind me? please?

1 comment:

Floortime Lite Mama said...

Annie just found your blog
Sending u a hug