Monday, April 27, 2009

Just when I was getting the hang of it all.....

Unfortunate incident last week.

I came down with Gastro. I didn't know it was gastro and toddled off to see my doctor.

She wasn't happy that I had cancelled my appointment with the Gastroenterologist (and the Upper GI scope).

I explained to her that for me, having a diagnosis of Coelic isn't a death sentence. It's a diet modification and therefore I was happy to accept my diagnosis based on the blood tests alone. And let's face it - eating GF is pretty easy. (It's the whole Gluten in make-up deal I am still coming to terms with). To also be frank - I really didn't feel like having a biopsy just to see "what's going on".

So anyway.....I digress......doctor asks me how the GF diet is going. I tell her it's pretty easy (except when you eat out and you put your diet & trust in someone elses hands). It's been almost 6 weeks, but to be honest I don't feel any better. Fatter maybe, but definitely not better.

She wants to run some blood tests. Great! I've just paid for the last ones.

So I figure I will ask her to do a specific Coelic tissue type sampling - a gene test. To have Coelic you have to carry certain genetic make-up.

So I've been tested for that, again a full blood count and B12. I went in this morning for the blood tests, got a call from the doctors surgery tonight at 8pm saying I need to go back in to see my doctor.

I'm not overly worried. Either I have Coelic or I don't. No biggie either way. I'm guessing my B12 levels are shot again.

So why can't they tell you this stuff over the phone? Instead now, I have to go in, pay for avisit and probably hear news that isn't life threatening. Life threatening results I understand - normal results I don't. And why do they insist on calling you in the evening? What's with that?

So......here's waiting. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

5onfaith said...

Yikes! Poor you! Anything of the GI nature is not fun! Fortunately, I don't have to contend with it, but many friends and family around me do! Big hugs! Hope you are on a path to wellness with it!